Thursday, January 26, 2012

No Crumbs with Christ


Hello friends-
My postings haven't been so frequent, so I thought today might be nice (since it's sunny outside after countless days of rain).

I stumbled across this article - don't be alarmed by the URL "killingthebuddha.com", or by the title "Buying the Body of Christ"... or alternatively you can be alarmed but still continue to read my thoughts on what 'cracked me up' - it's an article about crackers, get it?.

Rarely do I ever think "I wish I knew where this came from" - even my love for the food network never compelled me to watch "How this is made" or something like that (it's about how things are made/manufactured and they take you for a tour of the plant, interview people blah, blah, blah). I didn't even think I cared where/how things were made.

Enter the holy communion cracker. I am utterly fascinated by the production of the holy communion cracker. Why? It's the freaking Body of Christ as a cracker. Duh! Have I taken holy communion even though I am not Catholic? Absolutely! Why? Because I don't want to be that person left in the pew feeling self conscious that people are judging me and jealous that I don't have a cracker.

Anyway, the article traces that for an economical $13 you can get 500 whole wheat discs (Jesus is healthy for us). The particular company that the wafers were purchased at produces 80% of the "alter breads" consumed in the US. I never cease to amaze myself with industries that I never knew existed, but then again it would make all logical sense.

The ingredients come from mega-suppliers and even the Christ stamp equipment is used by other companies to imprint trademarks etc. on their crackers. It almost seems unholy. Let me take this further. If I were a baker, and I baked tons of different breads using the same recipe (sometimes I add some chocolate or cinnamon and icing for example to make them different) - would you be at all offended if I stamped one with a cross and marketed it as the Body of Christ?

No joke, this bread right here, baked it this morning is the embodiment of Christ. I get it - that it's a symbol. If it's just a symbol, then why don't we use normal crackers? For example - Triscuits are good, more filling, and they even have those new flavors (the olive oil and rosemary one is fantastic!). Instead, the ones purchased are baked using a patent-protected process to ensure no crumbs. When you look at the bag, no crumblies at the bottom - that wouldn't bode well with God.

With a witty ending line by the author of the blog, I will leave you to comment.
"Maybe the not-yet realized body of Christ is not so different from that box of "Jesus Is My Homeboy T-shirts riding next to it." - in the context of freight shipping.


No comments:

Post a Comment